About the Continuing Education Guidelines

The proposed Continuing Education Guidelines comprise four separate guideline documents, available to view or download below:

Life and/or Accident & Sickness Insurance Agents Continuing Education Guideline Program for General Insurance Agents and Sales Continuing Education Guideline Program for Adjusters Continuing Education Guideline Program for Exempt Travel Agents

If approved by Council, these guidelines would replace the existing guidance on CE provided by prior advisory notices on this topic (ICN-08-004, ICN-08-005, and ICN-05-001).

The proposed guidelines aim to clarify and simplify current CE requirements, standardize requirements, and clearly identify licensees’ responsibilities. 

What’s New/Different
  • Licensees can now carry over up to one year’s worth of credits to the next year.
  • No maximum amount for course credits that can be claimed, and no daily credit maximum.
  • Partial credits can be claimed. 
  • No exemptions or reductions for licensees based on years of experience, or specific designations.
  • CE requirement waived for those whose licences were issued three months before the end of the filing year. (March 1-May 31)
  • Guidance and template forms provided for CE record-keeping.
What's the Same
  • The amount of CE required for each class of licence (life, general, adjuster, travel) has not increased.
  • What qualifies as eligible course content remains unchanged.
  •  Requirements for CE record-keeping and reporting remain the same.  
  • The requirement for licensees to complete CE under Council Rule 7(5) is unchanged.  

Comparison Chart | CE Credits Required Annually
  Current Requirements Under New Guideline
General Licensees, Salespersons, Adjusters
     Licensed fewer than 5 years 8 8
     Licensed 5 or more years 6 8
     Have approved professional designation
4 8
Life and/or Accident & Sickness
     Licensed fewer than 5 years 15 15
     Licensed 5 or more years 10 15
     Have approved professional designation
5 or exempt 15
Travel Agencies
Employees/salespersons who sell travel insurance 2 2

Comparison Chart | Summary of Changes
  Current Requirements Under New Guideline

Ability to carry over credits?


Up to one year’s worth.

Cap on number of CE credits that may be claimed per day?


No limit.

Cap on credits from a single course?


No limit


Aren’t there already continuing education requirements? What’s the purpose of the guidelines?

Through our audit program, we determined that some licensees did not have a full understanding or awareness of continuing education requirements for their licence. By publishing guidelines, we are looking to help licensees access clear guidance and understand their responsibilities about CE.

Continuing Education requirements have previously been established through various notices on this topic (ICN-08-004, ICN-08-005, and ICN-05-001). This was supplemented with information provided through website Q&As. However, to date, there has not been a comprehensive guidance document provided for licensees, which this guideline is intended to be. 


When will the new guidelines come into effect?

This is yet to be determined, as the Insurance Council members have yet to make a decision regarding next steps. However, pending approval, implementation of the guideline is targeted for June 1, 2021. 

If the new guidelines are adopted, how will this impact the extension for 2020 CE requirements due to COVID-19? 

If the new guidelines were to be approved by Council, they would not impact the extended deadline to complete your CE requirements for 2020. The requirements of the new guidelines will not be applied retroactively to your 2020 CE requirements.  

What qualifies as CE under the new guidelines?


Course content required to qualify for CE credits is unchanged. Acceptable continuing education is technical material directly related to:

  • Insurance products;
  • Compliance with insurance legislation and licensee requirements such as Council Rules, Council’s Code of Conduct, the Insurance Act, and privacy legislation;
  • Ethics;
  • Errors and omissions;
  • Financial planning (life and accident and sickness insurance agents only), provided the education is focused on life and accident and sickness insurance and not a non-insurance sector; or
  • Management, accounting and human resources (for nominees and level 3 general insurance agents only).

I'm a non-resident licensee.  Do I have to do CE in BC?

Non-resident licensees whose home jurisdiction has a mandatory continuing education requirement will not be required to meet Council’s requirements provided they complete their continuing education in accordance with their home province’s requirements and keep their licence in good standing in their home jurisdiction. If your home jurisdiction does not have a continuing education program, you are required to meet Council’s continuing education program requirements.

Will I have to report my CE every year?

Reporting requirements are unchanged. During annual filing you are required to confirm that you understand the continuing education requirements for your licence. You are also required to keep a detailed record of your completed CE for five years. You do not need to provide your CE records annually, but must be able to produce them should you be audited.