Getting a Licence

Please see our fee schedule for current application fees
Only licence information is public. As trainee registrants and applicants are not licensees, their information is not displayed on our website.
Applications cannot be expedited. They are processed fairly and in queue.
Council's processing times depends on volumes and the application types we receive. Please see Getting a Licence for the current processing time. If you have any questions, feel free to contact the Licensing department at 604-695-2007 or by email at


An applicant for an insurance agent or adjuster licence must have attained the age of 19 years.

An applicant for a general insurance salesperson licence must have attained the age of 16 years.

Council has identified a number of business activities that can give rise to the potential for a conflict of interest. In most cases, Council has been able to address any concerns through licence conditions or restrictions, however, Council has identified specific business activities where it believes the potential for a conflict of interest is so significant that it is not prepared to issue a licence. Before making a licence application to Council, please review the List of Other Employment and Business Activities Considered by Council.
Applicants who do not have the required education for their licence class can request that Insurance Council consider granting a licence based on alternate education and/or experience.

Applicants must provide supporting documentation on successful completion of alternate education and details pertaining to their alternate experience, including specific job duties. These are reviewed on a case by case basis and will take longer to review. Application fees will not be refunded if the application is declined.

For more information, see Applying for a Licence Based on Equivalency.
If your examination marks have expired, you will be required to either requalify educationally or apply on an equivalency basis (see above question).
Where an application has been accepted from an applicant but supporting documentation is missing or additional information is required, the applicant is given three weeks to provide the required information. If the required information remains outstanding after the three weeks, the applicant is given a further two weeks to provide the information. If, after that time, any required information remains outstanding; Council will deem the application as incomplete, close the application, and refund only the provincial government portion of the application fee. Council’s portion of the application fee is non-refundable and will be forfeited.

Your BC registration must mirror your licence in your home jurisdiction. To apply for any form of non-resident licensing in BC, applicants must apply for the same class and comparable level of licence in their home jurisdiction. Under Council's Code of Conduct (10.3.1), licensees must hold themselves out in the matter in which they are licensed; please ensure your licence application properly reflects how you will be conducting business in BC. 

We require the details of events leading up to your bankruptcy, the amount, and the discharge document. If your bankruptcy was discharged less than 7 years ago, include the Statement of Affairs.
You are required to provide details of any pending charges and/or convictions. Depending on the relevancy of your charge/conviction, you may be required to provide further information such as supporting court documents, documentation from your probation or parole officer, and a copy of your record. 
If you have been disciplined, we require a copy of the decision. If you are under investigation, please provide as much detail as possible; ideally information from that regulatory body.  
You are required to provide an overview of the proceedings, your involvement, and the expected trial dates. Council may ask that you provide a copy of the statement of claim and defence.
You must have your Police Information Check completed by the municipal police or RCMP detachment for your residence address. Please download, complete, and print out an Open Letter to All Police Agencies form. Police detachments will not process your request if you do not bring this form with you. Contact the police agency before attending its office to confirm hours of operation, fees, and method of payment. Council does not have this information
If you have resided outside of Canada in the past 5 years, your local police detachment may deem your local criminal record check as incomplete. Therefore, you may be required to obtain a criminal record check from the country you previously resided in.

Yes. All corporations, partnerships, and sole-proprietorships must be registered and be in good standing with the BC Corporate Registry. 

Still have questions? Please feel free to contact one of our licensing officers at 604-695-2007 or by email at

Errors and Omissions Insurance

No, you do not have to submit your E&O renewal documents to Council each year.  You are required to maintain E&O that meets Council's requirements, however.  If an E&O Audit is initiated by Council, you will be asked to produce evidence you have maintained E&O on an ongoing basis.
You must immediately cease conducting insurance activities and notify Council within five business days.  Your licence will be automatically suspended if you remain uninsured for a period exceeding 30 calendar days, so be sure to let Council know once your policy is in place.  Once your insurance is reinstated, you may return to work.  If, however, you remain uninsured for a period exceeding 30 days, your licence will be terminated.
Council Rules requires that E&O be in place for all licensees, including insurance agencies and firms.  A policy may cover both the agency/firm and the licensed individuals authorized to represent it.  Life insurance agencies are directed to review Council Notice ICN 07-007 under Notices for more detailed information.
Yes.  Although you may not be selling new business, you are still providing advice and may make changes to existing clients' policies.  Council therefore considers there to be a risk to the client that would necessitate E&O insurance.
More specific information about requirements for E&O can be found in the Errors an Omissions section of Council's website.  This is a complete list of notices issued regarding E&O.

ICN 15-007 (29 June 2015)
ICN 15-006 (25 June 2015)
ICN 09-002 (28 April 2009)
ICN 07-007 (11 September 2007)
ICN 06-006 (15 December 2006)
ICN 05-007 (05 December 2005)
ICN 05-006 (24 June 2005)
ICN 05-005 (24 June 2005)
ICN 01-007 (15 October 2001)
ICN 01-002 (12 February 2001)

Council Rules Course

There is a Council Rules Course tailored to life licensees, offered by Advocis and a Council Rules Course tailored to general licensees and adjusters, offered by the IBABC.

If you obtain a new BC licence and do not qualify under the Reactivation Provision, regardless of your home jurisdiction and how long you have been licensed there, you must complete the Council Rules Course for that licence.  If you have one for life and one for general or adjuster, you must complete both courses.

For more information, go to the Council Rules Course tab under Licensee Resources.
Yes, if British Columbia is where you reside and you did not complete the course as a pre-licensing requirement.  Effective March 1, 2019 the Council Rules Course qualifies for one CE credits.  If you have two licences and you complete both the Council Rules Courses, you earn two credits (one for each licence).  For out-of-province licensees, the Council Rules Course is a licence condition of British Columbia, but may not be eligible for CE in your province. 

Remember to print out the Course Completion Certificate upon completion as you may be asked to produce it as part of a CE audit.
If you applied for a licence prior to March 1, 2019, you must complete the Council Rules Course within your first licence period.  This means that you must not submit your first annual filing until you complete the course.

For those who apply for a licence and do not qualify under the Reactivation Provision on March 1, 2019 or later, the Council Rules must be completed as a pre-licensing requirement.
Regardless of where you reside, if you have obtained a licence in British Columbia, you may be required to complete the Council Rules Course depending on when you received your licence and other conditions.  For details, and whether the Council Rules Course requirement applies to you, see Council Rules Course.

Changes to Licence

You must provide the name of the person who has ceased to be your supervisor and then you must submit an Supervisor Undertaking Form  that is signed by you and your new supervisor.  This form can be sent to Council by mail, courier or by email.

If you have been licensed for more than 24 months and are no longer required to have a supervisor, provided this period has not been extended by Council for other reasons, the supervisor requirement will be removed from your licence automatically.  You do not need to contact Council to ask that it be removed. See Council Notice ICN-12-005 Supervision of New Life and/or Accident and Sickness Insurance Agents.
If you cease to supervise a life licensee, Council Rules requires that you notify Council in writing within five business days.  In the written notification which can be submitted by email, mail or fax, indicate:
  • name of the licensee
  • date your supervision of the licensee ceased
  • reason for withdrawal as supervisor if it relates to the person's suitability or conduct.
If you wish to put your licence on hold, you must submit to Council your request (in writing) that your licence be made inactive.  Indicate the upcoming date you wish the licence to be made inactive (inactive status cannot be done retroactively).

While your licence is inactive, you are still required to meet the continuing education requirements of your licence each year and you are required to submit your annual filing each year.  There is no time limit at this time for how long a licence may remain inactive, but check back to Council's website regularly for changes.
To appoint a new nominee, submit a letter to Council's Licensing department on company letterhead which appoints the licensee as the Level 3 Nominee. Include:
  • the effective date of the appointment
  •  the date the former nominee ceased their role as nominee of the Agency
  • confirmation the Nominee meets Council's requirements as outlined in Council Rule 2(11)
  • signature of recognized signing officer for the Agency
  • signature of the new nominee
If you are leaving one employer and moving to another, adding another employer or you are simply ceasing employment with an Agency, you must notify Council in writing via fax, mail or email within 5 business days.  It is your responsibility to notify Council. 

You must then submit an Add ATR (Authorization to Represent) Form.  This form is signed by both you and the Nominee/Officer/Director or Partner of your new employer.

Important: Council does not automatically end your previous ATR simply because you submit a new Add ATR form.  It is your responsibility to notify Council when you leave an employer.
Both the employer and the licensee must submit written notification that authorization has been withdrawn. Please submit a written request to our Licensing Department at and provide the date on which you are no longer representing an insurance agency, adjusting firm, or general insurance direct writer within five business days of the withdrawal. Your licence will become inactive until an Add Authorization to Represent form is submitted and reviewed by Council.
Council Rule 7(4) requires that you notify Council within 30 calendar days of your contact information.

To change your personal contact information, use the Contact Change Form - Individual
To change your corporate contact information, use the Contact Change Form - Corporate
Submit a written request to our Licensing Department at and provide the date at which the termination is in effect.

If you decide to reinstate your licence at a future date, please review the Reactivation Provision as you may be required to re-take qualifying education if you do not meet the requirements of the provision.

If your own name has changed, please complete the Change of Name form and send it to Council with the supporting documentation asked for in the form and the fee.  Forms submitted without their fee will not be processed and will be returned.

If the name of your company has changed, you use the same Change of Name form, but is recommended that you first contact Council to determine what other information will need to be provided as the change may have other implications to your licence.

A Licensee must notify the Insurance Council within 30 calendar days of any material change in ownership, in accordance with Council Rule 7 (4) (b) (ii). Material changes in ownership can include share purchases, asset purchases, and amalgamations. Further details on these changes, and the required notifications to the Insurance Council, can be reviewed here.
To update your level of licence, complete the Update Level of Licence form and be sure to attach any of the documents requested on the form or your request will not be processed and the form will be returned.
While most business activities/jobs have no impact on a licensee's insurance activities, Council has identified some that they consider to be a potential conflict of interest.

As long as you are not engaged in business activity that Council has declined to issue a licence (List of Other Employment and Business Activities Considered by Council), you are not required to notify Council of a business activity you commence after you obtained your licence.

If you engage in a role that's not on the list, you should consider whether the role is similar to one on the list and if so, how you might need to tailor your insurance activities going forward.

If you would like further direction, please submit a Request for Review of Other Business Activities form to Council.

Annual Filing

BC insurance licences are continuous and therefore don't have an expiry date, but you must submit an annual filing to Council each year.

The deadline for the annual filing for all licensees is June 1st.  If you file after June 1 and up to July 31, you will be charged a late fee. Any licensees who don't file before July 31 will have their licence terminated.
As the filing date in BC is the same for all licensees and is the same every year, licensees are not individually notified of their filing deadline.  You may receive a courtesy reminder email, but it is your responsibility to ensure you submit your annual filing on time.
Yes.  You must submit an annual filing declaration and fee for your corporate licence and you must submit an annual filing declaration and fee for your own individual insurance licence.
As this may vary from year to year, check Council's website under the Annual Filing tab (under Licensee Resources) prior to submitting your annual filing each year.
In making your annual filing, you must ensure you are in compliance with all Council Rules, which include, but are not limited to, CE requirements, E&O insurance, authority to represent at least one insurer and all mandatory notifications to Council. 

The wording of the CE declaration states "I have completed, or will complete by May 31st, my continuing education." This wording allows licensees to complete their filing declaration before they have completed their CE credits, but they must complete their CE credits by May 31st. If CE is not completed by May 31st, licensees may be subject to discipline if they are audited.
Yes.  You must submit an annual filing, regardless of whether your licence is active, inactive or suspended.

Harmonized Life Licence Qualification Program (HLLQP)

  • Advocis
  • Business Career College
  • College for Financial Professions/ Coll√®ge des Professions Financi√®res
  • CSI (Canadian Securities Institute)
  • Oliver Publishing Inc.
  • IFSE Institute
  • REMIC Inc. (Real Estate and Mortgage Institute of Canada
  • Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology
Click here for the course provider’s contact information
In-person Exams

See Schedules and Fees for In-person exams in our In-person Exam section.

Online Exams

See Schedules and Fees for Online Exams on the Durham College website.
See the Exam Information and Registration page for more information about how to register for the exams.
At this time, exam registration fees are accepted via online payment only. Please see our COVID-19 Update page for more information about how to register and pay for the exams.
Examinees have 75 minutes to complete each exam module.

As of September 1, 2018, Life Insurance, Segregated Funds and Annuities, Accident and Sickness Insurance has 35 questions each. Ethics and Professional Practice has 25 questions.
Pilot questions are questions that are included in exams but do not count towards the examinees’ final score. Piloting is done to measure the quality of newly developed exam questions prior to using the questions for scoring purposes.

As of September 1, 2018, the pilot testing approach in all Canadian jurisdictions is as follows:
  • 5 pilot questions will be integrated into each exam module.
  • Examinees will still be allotted 75 minutes to complete each exam.
  • Pilot questions will be excluded from the examinees’ final score.
  • Pilot questions will be managed to avoid impact on examinee performance.
Examinees may still continue to use the Comments page attached to exam questionnaires to share any comments or concerns regarding the exam.

For more information, please visit:
See In-Person Exam Information  for important information you need to know about writing your in-person exams with Council. 
No. Food and drinks are not permitted in the exam room.

*If you have a proven medical condition which makes it necessary for you to have food and/or drinks
 in the exam, you must obtain approval from Council prior to exam registration. Please see Examinee
 Information Guide - Special Accomodations and contact Examinations at 604-695-2006 or for special accomodation requests.
A minimum of 60% is required to pass each exam module.
Online exam results: 

The external exam provider, Durham College, will send the results to licensees and the Insurance Council as soon as possible, but may take up to 7 days. You will then be able to view exam results in your Insurance Council online portal account by navigating to the “View my exam results” tab in the main menu.

In-person exam results: 

Exam results are released in 5 business days. You can view exam results in your Insurance Council online portal account by navigating to the “View my exam results” tab in the main menu.
After 3 unsuccessful attempts, there is a 3 month waiting period before you can register to write your 4th attempt. After 4 unsuccessful attempts, there is another 3 month waiting period. After 5 unsuccessful attempts and all subsequent attempts after the 5th attempt, there is a 6 month waiting period.
Each passed exam module is valid for 1 year from successful completion. You must complete the HLLQP and hold a licence within 1 year from the first exam module you have passed.
It is valid for 1 year from the certification date.
See the Exam Information and Registration page for information on how to register for the exam.
No. You must have a valid course certification date in order to register for the HLLQP exams. Contact your course provider to retake the course.
No, you must be suitable to hold an insurance licence. Click here for more information.